MEMORANDA (from a format and original information provided by Vicky Perfect).

1066

Near Northop Horticultural College, are vestiges of the foundations of Llys Edwin, a moated and fortified house. Prior to the Norman conquest, the district was in the hands of Edwin, the last Earl of Mercia. The house at that time was the seat of Edwin ap Gronw who was married to a relative of the Earl. Opposite Bryn-y-Cwn farm, on Halkyn Road, Flint stands a large artificial mound which is believed to have been the site of a hunting-lodge on his estate 'The Hill of Dogs'. Another thought is that it could be a Norman motte and bailey castle. Llys Edwin later passed to the notable old Flintshire family, the Stanley's. A wood near there is known as Coed Stanley.

1240

Prince Dafydd ap Llewelyn, made a grant to Basingwerk Abbey, of the Chapel of Coleshill at Hen Blas, a royal castle and the birthplace of Welsh princes which stood at Coleshill Fawr, off Bryntirion Road, in Bagillt. It was occupied from the 12th to the 14th century. It is believed that Prince Dafydd was born at Hen Blas.

1277

Edward I advanced from Chester at the head of an army to conquer the Welsh. Work was started to build a Castle and Town at Flint.

1278

A grant was made by Edward I for a market to be held in the town every Thursday and a fair every Whitsuntide.

1282

Edward I came to the relief of the castle after it was besieged by forces of Llewelyn ap Gruffydd and his brother David after they had surprised Hawarden Castle and Flint town burnt .

1284

On 8th September 1284 Edward I granted Municipal Charters to Flint, Rhuddlan, Conway and Caernarvon. Until the Municipal Corporations Act 1835, the borough was governed by the constable of the castle, who also served as mayor, with the aid of two bailiffs elected by the burgesses. The Constable of Flint Castle at that time and therefore the first Mayor of Flint was Reginald de Grey.

1294

Castle attacked during the Welsh revolt in north Wales led by Madog ap Llywelyn and the Town perished in the Autumn of 1294 in the self inflicted flames of passive self defence. 75 houses were set on fire by order of the local commander for the castles own safety in order to deny the Welsh the shelter and provisions it would have otherwise have afforded them. The decision was taken to sacrifice the town for the safety of the castle.

1301

Edward I proclaimed his son the first Prince of Wales, who was also created Earl of Chester & Flint.

1306

William Broun was appointed Constable of Flint and Mayor of the Borough.

1327

Second Charter was granted by Edward II.

1349

Flint suffered the effects of the plague known as the Black Death.

1361

Third Charter granted by Edward, the Black Prince, son of Edward III.

1395

Fourth Charter granted by Richard II.

1399

On 22nd August 1399, Richard II was delivered into the hands of Henry Bolingbroke, Duke of Hereford (later King Henry IV) at Flint Castle.

1403

The castle was besieged in the insurrection of Owain Glyndwr. It had been attacked already in 1400.

1536

Act of Union was passed by Henry VIII incorporating Wales into the Kingdom of England. The Act of Union allowed Welsh people to settle within the Borough of Flint.

1555

Fifth Charter granted by Queen Mary.

1598

The Parish Registers commenced. The Minister was John Prosser.

1630

Edward Cotton of Ipswich, a coal mine proprietor in Bagillt, provided an endowment for, 'A learned Preacher of the Word of God. who shall be of honest conversation and conformable to the laws and canons of the Church of England, to preach a sermon or lecture, in the English tongue, in the church or chapel of Flint, on the first Sunday of every month of the year, between the hours of 10 and 11 of the clock in the forenoon'.

1637

Edward King, the life-long friend of John Milton, was drowned in a ship-wreck in the Dee estuary. Invited to contribute an elegy on his death, Milton wrote his 'Lycidas'.

1642

The castle was repaired and garrisoned by Roger Mostyn at the start of the Civil War but the castle was captured by the parliamentarians on 12th November 1643. There was a further siege between 1st June 1646 and when it was surrendered to Major General Thomas Mytton on 29th August 1646.

1646

Parliament voted that the castle should be destroyed.

1700

Sixth Charter granted by William III.

1727

George II succeeded to the throne on the death of his father George I. He was the last Prince of Wales to have adopted the title Earl of Chester and Flint. Kings of England, when investing the heir apparent to the throne, as Prince of Wales, at the same time bestowed upon him this ancient Earldom. Prince Charles is the current Earl of Chester.

1778

Local miners riot due to a food shortage.

1785

A new Gaol was built in the castle outer bailey from plans of Mr Joseph Turner, the old gaol was in Church Street. The goal closed in the 1880s when a new goal was opened in Mold.

1800

The town became a fashionable bathing place and busy sea port where people came to enjoy the 'salubrious air'.

1801

The population of Flint was 1,169.

1806

With Napoleon Bonaparte, now Emperor of France, and his almost constant campaigns abroad, there was a real fear of invasion in this country. Various Parishes, including Flint, combined it was declared, 'To prevent tumult, disorder and seditious meetings and publications'. A Volunteer Company was formed in the neighbourhood and called the Halkyn Rangers. The Corps was largely supported by the 2nd Earl Grosvenor.

1811

The population of Flint was 1,433.

1812

George Roskell and Company erect a lead works on the site of the the old works.
Alexander Loe Kaye opens a Private Country Bank called Flint Bank issuing banknotes which went bankrupt in 1814 and he opens another Bank - Flintshire Bank (Kaye & Co) which is bankrupt in 1815.

1820

National School for boys and girls opened, it was believed to be behind Caersalem Welsh Methodist Chapel, Chapel Street.

1821

The population of Flint was 1,612.

1831

The population of Flint was 2,216.

1832

There was a severe outbreak of cholera in Flint, which caused many deaths. It was reported that the infection did not originate here, but that, 'It was brought into the town by strangers'.

1834

Vagrancy in the county was a problem to the local authorities in the early nineteenth century. Several parishes refused to assist vagrants, unless they were ill or else pregnant women or women with young children. The vagrants were generally English or Irish and very rarely Welsh. Flint reduced the Poor Law rate for such persons from £78 per annum in 1821 to £5.14 in 183l. A Commissioners Report in 1834 stated that, 'There was in existence an impoverished class in the town itself. The Poor Law rate for the Borough of Flint, notwithstanding the pressure of Irish casual paupers, is light, amounting only to two shillings in the pound. Vagrants were seen passing through Flint on their way to the Holywell and St. Asaph Work-houses, well into the early twentieth century, and it was not unusual for an elderly beggar-man to call at a house requesting food or money. Street singers and street musicians, both men and women, were not uncommon at that period, also an organ grinder with a barrel organ and pet monkey aloft, wearing a little red fez and an embroidered jacket.

1836

The first Mayor, George Roskell, was elected following the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835. The act entitled the corporation to elect a Mayor, and four Aldermen and twelve councillors. The Town Council granted the Mayor an annual allowance of £40 and his Sergeant-at-Mace an annual fee of 10s.6d.

1839

The old Town Hall erected in the reign of Elizabeth I was demolished and the new Town Hall erected and opened on 10 February 1840 costing £1734 8s.6d.

1841

The population of Flint was 3,265

1847

The ancient church was demolished and the present Parish Church erected and consecrated on 5th December 1848.
The Railway Company undertook to lay the main sewers in the Town.

1848

The Chester and Holyhead Railway was opened. It was amalgamated with the London and North-Western in 1858.

1849

A second epidemic of cholera occurred in Flint. Dr. George Kingsley, a brother of the Rev. Charles Kingsley, the poet and novelist and one time Canon of Chester Cathedral, was staying with relations in Northop at the time of the outbreak. With great devotion, he gratuitously and tirelessly attended the stricken poor in the town. Charles Kingsley occasionally visited friends at Plas Bellin, in Kelsterton. And there, overlooking the broad estuary of the River Dee, he is said to have been inspired to write the well-known poem, 'The Sands of the Dee'.

1851

The population of the Borough from a census was 3,296.

1852

On November 18th 1852, the day of the funeral of the Duke of Wellington. the Flint Corporation recommended that all business in town be suspended that day and the Town Councillors accompanied the Mayor to a memorial service in the Parish Church.
The Flint Corporation granted a lease to the Flint Gas and Water Company, enabling them to lay gas and water pipes under the streets of the Borough. Six lamp posts were erected for street lighting.
Water was also laid for the supply to the town from the reservoir in Little London. Prior to this people had to carry water for domestic use from wells in Allt Goch and Little London. Some people had a spring or well attached to their own houses. There were two wells in Church Street.
Muspratt Brothers and Huntley open an Alkali Works by the docks having bought the old Roskell Works. Muspratts was sold to United Alkali Co Ltd in 1890 but closed in 1919 and the buildings demolished to become the site of Courtaulds Castle Works.
Smith & Mawdsley build an alkali works in Pentre, Oakenholt. It closed about 1890/2 and was demolished in 1899.
At the port of Flint as many as twenty boats were loading and unloading in a day. The docks had four large wharves and large coal depots serving the Pickering and Ormiston, Flint Marsh Colliery.

1857

The corporation established a Police Force of their own, independent of the county. It was amalgamated with the county force in 1867.
A Russian cannon captured by the British Forces during the Crimean War was presented to the Borough and placed in the Castle courtyard.

1856

The burial ground at St. Mary's churchyard was closed and the cemetery in Northop Road was opened in 1856 and extended in 1889.

1859

The Church of England National School in Northop Road was opened at a cost of £2200 on land donated by Sir John Trelawny, Bart.

1861

The population of Flint was 3,428.

1862

Sion Welsh Congregational Chapel on Hill Street was erected at a cost of about £1000. It was demolished 1966/1967.

1863

A plague of black water fever visited the town and a temporary hospital was set up in the Castle.
A Volunteer Corps known as The Flintshire and Caernarvonshire Rifle Volunteers was formed in Flint and Mr. W. H. Porritt was appointed lieutenant.

1865

The first Public Library in Flint was founded in 1865 in a shop on the east side of Church Street. The first librarian was Miss Cooney.
The County Gaol was moved to Mold and the premises sold to Muspratt Brothers & Huntley to be used as a working men's club.

1866

The drainage system of the town was reformed at a cost of £1261 with additional works carried out in 1879 and the whole ventilated.

1868

The first Bank opened in Flint in a room in the Town Hall, The North & South Wales Bank, opening on Saturdays. Now HSBC.

1869

The Parish Church clock was presented to the Town by Sir Thomas Hanmer.

1871

The North Wales Paper Mill started production at their Mill in Oakenholt on the site of a former flour mill.
The population of Flint was 4,269 with about 968 houses.

1872

St. David's Church and school opened at Pentre, Oakenholt built at a cost of £1350.

1873

A new Police Station was built in Feather Street. The Old Police Station was in Market Square behind the Town Hall by the railway line.

1875

St. Thomas's Church in Flint Mountain (Flint Common then) opened on 4th August 1875, built at a cost of £1000.
A Water Works was built at Coed Onn.
Peniel Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built on Chester Road on land donated by Mr. P. Ellis Eyton. The chapel was demolished in 2008 to make way for the Aldi store.

1876

The streets and footpaths in town were paved for the first time.
The old Alms Houses, which stood in Duke Street, were closed and sold.

1877

The new Caersalem Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was opened, built at a cost of £1733 on the site of the old chapel which had been built in 1835.

1880

The Tabernacle Welsh Baptist Chapel on Church Street was built at a cost of £600 on land given by Mr. I. P. Davies. About 1960 it was taken over by the Borough Print Works which closed in 1997 and in 2000 the building was renovated and later occupied by Dee Flowers.

1881

Work started on the building of the Emaus Methodist Church, Holywell Road. The church was consecrated in June 1882. It cost about £1200.
There was a Census taken in Flint Parish in this year. Houses: Inhabited 971. Uninhabited 35. Building 14. Population: Males 2,501. Females 2,243. Total 4,744. The Death Rate was £17.86 per thousand. A remarkably high figure in comparison with the rest of the country. Before 1801, there existed no official returns of the population. The extremely poor in town, would be given a paupers funeral, paid for by the Parish, with the coffin borne on a bier. While the more prosperous would have an ornate horse-drawn hearse, with purple pall, and top-hated undertakers. The Irish community generally held a wake for their dead. When a death occurred in the old terraced houses in the back streets, it was customary for friends and neighbours to call and pay their last respects to the dead, and be escorted to view the deceased laid out in the reverently hushed little parlour. Close male relatives of the deceased wore a black armband on the coat sleeve as a symbol of mourning and a widow wore widow's weeds - an entirely black outfit with often a black veil. The period of mourning was generally six to twelve months.

1885

St. Mary's Catholic Church was consecrated; the ceremony was performed by Cardinal Manning, Archbishop of Westminster.

1886

Lord Richard Grosvenor presented the Flint Corporation with a copy of the notable portrait of Richard II. The original, in Westminster Abbey, is the earliest known portrait of an English sovereign.
The Richard Muspratt Memorial Infants School on Chester Street was built. It was demolished in 1970s.
Flint Town United Football Club was established in 1886 with its football ground first sited within part of what is now Flintshire Retail Park on Holywell Road.

1890

Muspratt Chemical Works was sold to United Alkali Co. Ltd.
English Presbyterian Church on Chester Road was built. Now derelict.

1891

The population of Flint was 4,925.

1895

St. Catherine's Church, Church Street, now used as a church hall, was built by Mrs. Hannah Jones in memory of her husband Ishmael Jones (of Trelawney Towers) and their seven children.

1896

Last turnpike (at Pentre) closed.

1898

“Jones the Oil”, one the oldest surviving business' in town was established.

1899

The Boer War broke out. Reinforcements, which included Welsh Regiments, were dispatched to South Africa, under the command of Lord Kitchener and Lord Roberts.

1900

A survey issued in that year, from the office in Mold, of the Chief Police Constable for Flintshire, listed a total of twenty one fully licensed Public Houses and fourteen beer houses retailing beers, wines and spirits and I have added The Old Anchor which is shown in Slater's Trade Directory of 1895 and The Crown which appears in 1912. Also I have added the following publicans of the respective pubs for 1895 and also for 1903. There were also two grocers who had a license to sell alcohol.


                                                                                                                            1895                            1903

The Antelope. Pentre.         (No longer exists)                                                                                       Edward Foulkes
The Black Lion. Church Street.      (No longer exists)                                        R Williams
The Blue Bell. Castle Street.      (No longer exists)                                            W E Bithell
The Castle Inn. Commercial Road.        (No longer exists)                                S Davies                        David E. Davies
The Chemical Tavern. Commercial Road.        (No longer exists)                                                          Edward Poynton
The Coach And Horses. Flint Mountain.                                                           T Hughes                      Thomas Hughes
The Cross Foxes. Church Street.        (No longer exists)                                  George Arden                George Arden
The Crown. Holywell Street               (No longer exists)   
The Dee Tavern. Chester Street.                                                                      J Brady                         James Brady
The Dee Tavern. Sydney Street.        (No longer exists)                                                                        Thomas Porter
The George And Dragon. Church Street.                                                         C Hooson                     Catherine Hooson
The Glynne. Mount Street.        (No longer exists)                                                                                John Jones
The Hawarden Castle. Church Street.      (No longer exists)                             T Porter                        R Jones
The King's Head. Castle Street.  (No longer exists)                                          J Lazzaroni    
The Liverpool Arms. Castle Dyke Street.       (No longer exists)                       H Hughes                      Charles O'Niel
The Menai Bridge. Pentre.     (No longer exists)                                               E Kenney                      Elizabeth Kenny
The Mill Tavern. Mount Pleasant.
The Miners Arms, Corporation Street.        (No longer exists)                                                                Thomas Hughes
The Old Anchor, Feather Street.     (No longer exists)                                     R Williams
The Plough Inn. corner of Earl Street & Holywell Street.        (No longer exists)                                    J. H. Nuttall
The Prince of Wales. Chester Street.        (No longer exists)                                                                 Elizabeth Roberts
The Railway Vaults. Trelawny Square.        (No longer exists)                                                               Benjamin Bellis
The Raven Inn. Raven Square.   (No longer exists)                                         E Hughes   
The Red Lion. Chapel Street.        (No longer exists)                                                                            John Lloyd Roberts
The Rose and Crown. Holywell Street.        (No longer exists)                                                             Charles Bishop
The Royal Oak. Church Street.                                                                      P Sweetman                    Alice C. Davies
The Sailor's Arms (also known as Sailors' Home). Chester Street.        (No longer exists)
The Ship Hotel. Market Square.                                                                    T Parry                            Thomas H. Denny
The Ship and Anchor. Holywell Road.                                                          W H Eaton                       Robert Price
The Swan Hotel. Chester Road.                                                                     R F Harrison
The Three Pigeons. Hill Street.      (No longer exists)                                      S Wilkinson
The Tradesman's Arms. Pentre.                                                                                                             John Rogers
The Volunteer Arms. Mount Street.        (No longer exists)                                                                    Emma Hughes
The White Horse. Little Ireland, Farmers Lane.        (No longer exists)                                                  Robert Edwards
The Windmill Tavern. Nant-y-Flint.        (No longer exists)                                                                    Thomas Nuttall
The Yacht. Evans Street.        (No longer exists)                                                                                    Robert Humphreys
The Yacht Inn. Pentre.                                                                                  A Jones                            Annie Jones

 

In addition there were numerous retailers of beer from their own houses including, from Slater's Trade Directory of 1895:

Ann Davies, Chester Road.
Ed. Edwards, Little Ireland.
James Fleming, Commercial Road
Jn. Foulkes, Chester Road
John Jones, Northop Road.
Wm Jones, Evans Street.
Thomas Nuttall, Northop Road.
Charles O'Neill, Mount Street.
Thomas Porter, Sidney Street.
Mary Richards, Mount Street.
Elizabeth Roberts, Chester Street.
George Roberts, Holywell Road.
John Roberts, Chapel Street.
David Williams, Corporation Street.
John Williams, Chester Road.

1901

The population of Flint Municipal Borough was 4,625.

1903

The Holywell Company Limited open a Textile Mill on Holywell Road, Flint. Bought by Courtaulds in 1919 to improve and make into Deeside Mill.
A free Library was established with a contribution of £200 from the Carnegie Trust. The library was formally opened in the Town Hall on 21st August 1903 by the Mayor Mr. T. W. Hughes. The librarian was Mr. E. J. Hughes.
A granite obelisk, commemorating the eighteen Flint men who served, killed in action or died during the Boer War of enteric fever, was erected in Trelawny Square in 1903, and unveiled by Hugh Robert Hughes, the Lord Lieutenant of Flintshire. Most served with the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers.

1905

London & North Western Railway commence bus operations between Mold to Flint.

1907

South side of Holywell Street from Town Hall to Raven Square demolished and new shops built. Two shops in Church Street, the Anchor Inn at the bottom of Feather Street and a smithy at the bottom of Mount Street were amongst those that disappeared.

1908

The British Glanzstoff Manufacturing Group, a German artificial silk concern started building their factory in Flint which later was taken over by Courtaulds and became Aber Works. Production started in 1910.

1909

The Flint Marsh Colliery known locally as Red Pits Colliery was finally closed. It was next to what is now the Flint Cemetery.
What is now Croes Atti C. P. School on Chester Road was opened on 11th January 1909. The headmaster was Mr. R Jones. The school cost about £4200 and was built by Mr. A. B. Lloyd.

1911

Population of Flint Municipal Borough was 5,472.

1912

The new Territorial HQ and Drill Hall was erected in the castle bailey, then known as Castle Yard on the site of the old gaol.

1912-13

The Empire Theatre was built on Chester Street, next to the Swan Hotel as a Theatre.

1917

January 1917 Courtaulds bought the British Glanzstoff works and renamed the factory 'Aber Works'.

1918/38

Flint was expanding and houses were built in Kings Avenue, Queens Avenue, First Avenue to Sixth Avenue and Maes Hyfryd.
Council houses were also built in Woodfield Avenue, Prince of Wales Avenue, Maes Y Dre Avenue, Trelawny Avenue and Borough Grove.
Courtaulds were also building houses for their own employees in lower Evans Street, Castle Street, Thomas Street, Lloyd Street, Salisbury Street, Henry Taylor Street and Dee Cottages.
Courtaulds also built houses in Earl Street whilst those in Swinchiard Walk were for management.

1919

Crosville Buses start services in Flint
Courtaulds bought the former Muspratt Chemical Factory from United Alkali Company Ltd in September 1919 and converted it into another viscose yarn manufacturing factory which became the Castle Works. Production started in May 1922 but the factory did not reach full production until 1925.

1920

The Cottage Hospital was opened, the building being donated by Courtaulds.
The Empire Theatre was bought and converted into a cinema by Mr. Robert Davies.
He also bought and possibly completed the building of a new cinema, the Grand in Church Street. He did have partners in the business. This site is now occupied by Delyn House.

1921

Population of Flint Municipal Borough was 6,298
National Provincial Bank of England opens branch in Flint. Now Nat West.

1922

Old Mechanics Institution in Church Street with 4 cottages purchased by Town Clerk, Mr T W Hughes and donated to Parish Church. Premises converted into a church hall to be known as T W Hughes Memorial Hall.

1924

Flint Town United moved to their new football ground further up Holywell Road.

1926

Electricity was switched on for the first time.
A second war Memorial was unveiled in Trelawny Square to commemorate the 121 Flint men who lost their lives in the 1st World War.

1927

Courtaulds acquired The Holywell Co. Ltd. works in December 1927 and after reconstruction and alterations renamed it the Deeside Mill which was used for yarn processing.

1928

St. John's United Reformed Church, Church Street opened on 19th September 1928. It was built alongside the site of the 'Little Church' which had been built in 1880.
The Royal British Legion was opened in Flint.

1930

Flint Town United Football ground was moved back on their site on Holywell Road to accommodate an extension to the Gas Works.

1931

Population of Flint Municipal Borough was 7,655.

1934

Bagillt and Oakenholt villages were incorporated into the Borough of Flint.

1935

Central School, Flint (now the Flint High School) opened on 10th July 1935 and the first head was Samuel Percy Hughes.

1936

The Birkenhead Water Supply was turned on in the town.

1937

Crosville Bus Depot in Flint Manor was opened.

1938

The Plaza Cinema, Church Street was opened.

1939

The population of Flint Municipal Borough was 13,518. (Boundaries of the Borough changed between 1931 and 1934 adding another 3367 acres to the existing 3435 acres with the relative populations therein added to the Borough - see 1934 above).

1941

The cemetery on Old London Road was opened by Flintshire County Council.

1943

A strike at Castle and Aber Mills, not supported by the Union, resulted in a Court of Enquiry and in proceedings for damages by Courtaulds against the strikers. The company was successful and was awarded £7 damages against each of the 139 defendants and by 1952 had finally succeeded in collecting damages from most of the strikers.

1946

The 2nd World War is over and the Town is in mourning for the 100 Flint men who were killed in action.
Jones the Gardeners opened their shop on Church Street after moving from Holywell in 1941.

1947

The Freedom of the Borough was conferred on the 384th Anti-tank Regiment Royal Artillery (R. W. F)

1948

Cilfan, Cornist Road, the retirement home was built.

1949

The Gwynedd Primary School is opened, built at a cost of £84000. The Headmaster is Mr. J. Proffit Jones. The 'Top School', also known as  'Miss Heggies' on Northop Road closed for infant age students in 1976?. The Flint Chester Road C. P. School and Flint Northop Road V.P. School became an Infant Schools. The Muspratt School, Chester Street closed.

1951

The population of Flint Municipal Borough was 14,267.

1953/1973

Houses were built in the Cornist Road to Windsor Drive area.

1954

The St Richard Gwyn R. C. High School is opened.
Flint Town United won the Welsh Senior Cup.

1955

Library moved from Town Hall to temporary premises in Chapel Street. The librarian was Mrs. E. Thomas.
Midland Bank open branch in Flint

1957

Courtaulds Aber Works was closed in December with the loss of 1200 jobs but opened for the manufacture of rayon in 1966.
The Flint Rescue Boat service was established. The boat was dedicated on 19th May 1957 and named CEME after the previous years Flint Mayor, Mrs C E M Edwards.

1958

Woolworth's opened their store in Church Street.
South side of Chester Street was demolished to widen the road.

1960

The new Fire Station on Chester Street was opened for the Flintshire Fire Service.

1961

The population of Flint Municipal Borough was 13,707
The new Court House and Divisional Police Headquarters in Chapel Street was opened.

1962

St Mary's R. C. Primary School was opened on Ffordd Llewelyn.
Welsh Harp on Prince Of Wales Avenue was built. The first landlords were Frank and Janet Alexander.

1964-1969

Houses in Mount Street, Hill Street, Feather Street, Duke Street, Swan Street, Mumforth Street and Sydney Street were demolished to make way for high rise flats and maisonettes.

1966

The RNLI 'D' class inshore rescue boat was installed at Flint.
The Red Lion on the corner of Church Street and Chapel Street was demolished to clear land for building of Flint House.

1967

The new Public Library in Church Street was formally opened by Mr. Goronwy Thomas MP. The librarian was Dr. G. A. Hughes.
The new Guildhall (Flint House) was opened by Mr. R. J. Kerr-Muir.
The Empire Cinema, Chester Street was demolished

1968

The Grand Cinema, Church Street was demolished.

1969

The National Eisteddfod was held in Flint and was visited by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales.
Pumphrey's Store on corner of Church Street and Holywell Street was demolished.
Bolingbroke and Richard Heights, high rise flats and the maisonettes were opened by Mr. E. Rowlands MP..
The old Drill Hall on the outer bailey of the castle was demolished.

1971

The population of Flint Municipal Borough was 14662

1972

TSB open branch in Flint. Now Lloyds Bank..

1974

Castle Heights was opened
Under local Government re-organisation Flint ceased to enjoy Borough status, merging into the new District Council of Delyn.
The Leisure Centre was opened in Earl Street.
Bagillt Row, Holywell Road and the shops on Holywell Street were demolished to make way for the dual carriageway.
Flint Evangelical Church, Cornist Road, established.

1975

The Plaza closed as a cinema on 1st August 1975 to become a Bingo Club.
The Flint Male Voice Choir was formed under the supervision of Mr. Johnston, the conductor.

1976

Cenotaph and War Memorial were moved from Trelawny Square to Chapel Street in August 1976.

1977

Courtaulds Castle Works was closed.
Hawarden Castle on Church Street was demolished during 1977-8 to enable road widening to take place on Coleshill Street.
Cornist Park School was opened 16th March 1977 on Cornist Lane as an Infants School by Councillor Tommy Bithell.

1979

Memorial Hall off Church Street was demolished.

1980

Courtaulds Chimneys demolished.
Courtaulds Castle Works factory also demolished.
Candid Cards opened in Church Street having been in business elsewhere in Flint since 1963.

1981

The population of Flint Community/Civil Parish was 16,482.
Courtaulds Aber Mill closed.

1982

Queen visited Kimberly Clark, Flint Mill.

1984

The Queen opened Delyn House. It was designed and built by Pochin Contractors Ltd at a cost of £2.1m.
Kimberly Clark open their first factory in Flint.
Courtaulds Aber Works demolished.

1989

Courtaulds Deeside Mill closed.

1990

Headland Foods opened in Flint.

1991

The population of Flint Community/Civil Parish was 12,564. (Area of count different to 1981).
Re-dedication of Cenotaph following the adding of the name of L/Cpl F. C. Evans, killed in action during the Gulf War.

1992

Old grave yard surrounding St. Mary's Parish Church removed.
Queen visited Kimberly Clark Flint site.

1994

Flint Town United moved to new ground on the Dee foreshore.
The Flint Leisure Centre was re-furbished.
Flintshire Retail Park opened in September. 

1996

Following a re-organisation, the County of Flintshire returns formed by the amalgamation of the previous Local Authorities of Alyn and Deeside and Delyn.

1997

Cornist Park C. P. School moves to new school off Windsor Drive and was opened by Secretary of State for Wales, Peter Hain.

1998

The opening of the third Dee crossing near Connah's Quay, opened by the Queen and named The Flintshire Bridge.

1999

King's Head Pub, Corporation Street converted into River Dee Community Church.
Library moved to temporary premises on Leisure Centre car park.
 'Footplate' sculpture erected on Flint Station car park.

2000

The Flint Library extension was opened. The building was formally opened by Mr. David Hanson MP. The librarian was Mrs. E Martin.
The Paper Mill at Oakenholt taken over and expanded by a Swedish Company, SCA.

2001

The population of Flint Community/Civil Parish was 12,804.

2002

Three Pigeons Pub and other premises in Coleshill Street demolished to enable road widening to take place.

2006

The  new RNLI 'D' class inshore rescue boat "Sir Y Fflint" was installed at Flint. The boat was purchased following an appeal organised by lifeboat fundraisers
from throughout Flintshire and thanks to the generosity of the people and businesses within Flintshire more than £40,000 was raised.
Flint Railway Station renovated.

2008

Flint House, Borough Working Men's Club and the Swan Garage, Halkyn Street demolished and the land used for more housing.
Sainsbury's opens new store in Flintshire Retail Park, Flint taking up the store vacated by Focus.
Aldi open new store on Chester Street, Flint. The premises of Flintshire Motors, Geematics and a house and the Peniel Chapel were demolished to make room.
Woolworths close their store in Flint.

2009

Ysgol Pen Coch, Primary Specialist School opened in September 2009. The head teacher is Ange Anderson. The school is on the Gwynedd School site.
Ysgol Maes Hyfryd, Specialist High School opened in September 2009. The head teacher is Jane Kelly. The school is on the Flint High School site.

2010

1st July 2010, the new Bevans open a store on Church Street on the site of the old Woolworths store.

2011

The final service in St. David's Church, Oakenholt before its closure was on 9th January 2011.
Parish Church is renamed St. Mary and St. David on 1st March 2011.
Flint Court closed 15th March 2011.
Flint Friday Market moved from Market Square to Church Street.
Headland Foods close their plant with the loss of 318 jobs on 21st April 2011.
Netto Flint became an Asda store on 27th June 2011.
Plaza Bingo Club closed on 31st October 2011 and building up for sale.

2012

Co-op close their store on Church Street which was replaced by a Premier Store in November.
Jade Jones wins 2012 Olympic Gold  in the women's Taekwondo under 75kg class and Church Street double post box painted gold. The award of an MBE in the 2013 New Year Honours list completes a remarkable six months for the Flint teenager also voted BBC Wales Sports Personality of the Year.

2013

'Sea View' block of houses on Chester Road opposite Fire Station renovated for let/sale with financial assistance from WAG.
27th July 2013 Royal Welsh Regiment parade in Flint marking 4th anniversery of Flintshire County Council granting Freedom of Flintshire to RWF.
1st August 2013 Flint Cottage Hospital closes.